The Random Theme Writing Competition is designed to challenge writers to take a randomly created theme and compress it down into a piece three hundred to fifteen hundred words long. Here, accurate portrayal of the chosen theme is the target, and creative storytelling is the key. This competition is designed to broaden your frontiers as a writer, training you to accurately and powerfully portray the theme of your choice. One thousand five hundred words is not a lot of material to work with, and your skill as a writer will shine through if you are successful in driving the theme home. Go ahead, give it a try!
- Entries must be submitted between the dates 08/18/2015 and 09/01/2015. Later entries will not be accepted.
- Judging starts 09/01/2015 and may take up to four weeks to process, though ideally it will be finished sooner.
- Entries must be 300-1500 words long.
- Up to three entries may be submitted per person, and no more than one per theme can be entered.
- Make sure to state what theme you chose.
- Stick to the theme you picked, but don’t be afraid to experiment.
- All entires should be fictional, with no copyright infringements or references to real life.
- Keep mature content to a minimum, and if any is present, I will use my discretion to determine its suitability.
- Have fun!
- Love sometimes is misunderstood
- Power completely takes over
- Loyalty often becomes its opposite
Themes were generated by WritingFix.
Submissions will be judged by the brilliant Anna over at her blog, AMBient, and myself.
Once you have submitted your entry, why don’t you go and check out other people’s entries and give them some support? I’m sure they’ll appreciate it.
First place: Choice of five featured posts on my blog, one every two weeks; detailed look-through, review, and critique of any WIP/finished work under fifty thousand words*; choice of three smaller posts, under two thousand words, for a read-through and critique
Second place: Choice of three featured posts on my blog, one every two weeks; look-through, review, and critique of any WIP/finished work under twenty-five thousand words**; choice of three smaller posts, under two thousand words, for a read-through and critique
Third place: Choice of one featured post on my blog; choice of three posts under two thousand words for a read-through and critique
*Review remains valid for up to two months after judging is complete. Feedback will be returned two to three weeks after WIP/finished work has been sent. If winner wishes, I can write a review/teaser and post it on my blog.
**Review remains valid up to a month after judging is complete. Feedback will be returned one to two weeks after WIP/finished work has been sent. If winner wishes, I can write a review/teaser and post it on my blog.
***Honorable mentions may or may not happen, depending on how many submissions I get.
Give me feedback on what you thought!
Thanks for participating! I look forward to reading your entries.